Your gun safe can withstand fire but it cannot handle moisture. Most of the time your stored items will be locked in the dark and with high humidity level, this is a good environment for mold and fungi to grow. As a result, your stored items could be damaged. The simple way to avoid this happening is to use a gun safe dehumidifier. This equipment will protect all your stored items, so it will protect your safe as well. If you can spend hundred of dollars on a gun safe, there is no reason for not spending a few extra dollars on a gun safedehumidifier.
What does a gun safe dehumidifier do?
The same purpose like other kinds of dehumidifier that reduce the moisture in specific spaces, a gun safe dehumidifier eliminates moisture inside the safe. Thus, the interior can be kept dry. Without a gun safe dehumidifier, the lifespan of your safe will be decreased and the items inside will be corroded. Because guns are made of metal if they are not kept in dry condition, moisture will make them rust or corrode.
Types of gun safe dehumidifiers
There are many gun safe dehumidifiers in the market but they can be divided into two types which are desiccant and electric dehumidifiers.
Desiccant dehumidifiers: commonly they are small packets containing special materials that absorb moisture. Depending on the size of your gun safe, you can place one or two packets. This kind is easy to use and does not require electricity, so it is suitable in case you do not have an electric outlet near the safe. A good desiccant dehumidifier can last for over 4 months. Besides, one of the advantages is that it can be reused by heating it in the oven for a couple of hours. You should have a few dehumidifiers, then you can swap them to use.
Electric dehumidifiers: use a heating element called ‘the golden rod’ to eliminate moisture from the safe. Due to this, heating element condensation will be protected. This kind of dehumidifier is considered as more efficient than desiccant one, but you need to apply a power source near the safe or drill holes in the safe to get wires running into them. If this is a problem, then you can find a rechargeable electric dehumidifier on the market. It works the same as a desiccant dehumidifier but does not need to be refreshed in the oven.
Which one is best ?
All three kinds of dehumidifier: desiccant, electric and rechargeable dehumidifiers do the same task. It is difficult to value which one is better than the others. You can place any one of them in your gun safe or even combine desiccant and electric dehumidifier so this can brings a better result.
Some best gun safe dehumidifiers on the market
For each type of dehumidifiers we will provide its top selling, then you can compare and estimate which one is more suitable for your gun safe
Stack on SPAD 60 Safe N Dry Desiccant Dehumidifier
- Draw moisture from 5 to 7 cubic feet.
- It can work for about 6 weeks before it needs to be recharged in an oven at 200°F for 3 hours.
- It includes a handy moisture indicator so that you can know when you should refresh it.
- After 3-4 times recharging, the moisture absorbing material will be lost, so you need to replace for the new one.
Lockdown Gun Vault Dehumidifier Rod
- It comes in different sizes. You can use 12 inch for almost all safes. If you have a big gun safe, you can consider with 18 inch ones.
- Installing a lockdown dehumidifier is not difficult. If your safe does not have a power to hook up, you will need to drill a hole in the bottom of safe that can be used to run wires in and out the safe. Then you just need to connect the wires to the power source.
- It works by increasing the temperature inside the safe, so it can prevent condensation. It is very effective.
Eva-dry renewable E-333 Wireless mini dehumidifier
- It is a great option if you cannot arrange a power source to your dehumidifier. It does not require any batteries, but it takes a long time to recharge. You need to recharge after 4-6 weeks by plugging it into an electrical outlet overnight (12 hours).
- This unit can dehumidify up to 333 cubic feet.
- It is quite silent for operating because it does not require battery or electricity to operate a fan.
- Its lifespan is long, and the warranty is for 5 years.