Having a fireplace at home can be beneficial in many ways. For example, it brings you warmth in the coldest days and a pleasing feel when you watch the flames dance inside the fireplace. However, a fireplace can contain potential hazards and dangers. In addition, inefficient burning will be very costly in the long run. That is why you need to consider choosing the best wood burning fireplace insert for your fireplace. The fireplace will be able to secure the fire and create more efficient burnings.
There are quite a few things you need to know before buying a good wood burning fireplace insert. Take a look at this article to see what you need to pay attention to before making your final decision.
- How to choose the Best Wood Burning Fireplace Insert
- Top-Rated Wood Burning Fireplace Insert Reviews
- Final Thoughts
What is Fireplace Insert
There are quite many features that make a good wood burning fireplace insert. For instance, they are material and additional options such as adjustable air flow and cast iron doors.
First of all, it needs to be made of durable material that can stand well against the heat and the coolness. In addition, it needs to have a weld to prevent damage that could possible happen when the insert or the fireplace expands and contrasts.
Additionally, an insert needs to have a good construction to adapt to any change in the material when the temperature inside the insert changes dramatically.
What if a fireplace insert doesn’t require you to install any venting system to your current chimney? Well, it is a sign that this is a good fireplace insert. A regular one will require you to install elbows units or side venting. You can consider ventless system as well. However, there are some states in America which forbids the use of ventless heating system at home. Hence, make sure you check the regulations in where you live carefully.
Finally, a fireplace insert needs to be capable of distributing heat around your house well. Therefore, you should consider one that goes with a good hearth and additional features such as adjustable flow and cast iron doors.
Advantages of a Fireplace Insert
- It Saves On Energy And Money
The most significant advantage of a good fireplace insert is that it helps to produce more efficient burning.
With efficient burning, you don’t have to heat up a lot or use a lot of energy. Therefore, it saves you a lot of money on your energy bill. Normally, when installing a wood burning fireplace insert, you could save more than 50 % compared to when you use the fireplace with no insert.
With the wood burning fireplace, you can save even more than that.
It can save you twice as much. That’s why if you spend the wood burning fireplace insert for more than 2 years, the unit that you installed can pay for itself.
- It Is Easy To Install And Operate
You don’t need to install a new fireplace in order to install the fireplace insert. All it takes is your current house’s fireplace and structure.
Most of the wood burning fireplace inserts can also work well with the current chimney of your house.
On the other hand, while installing the insert, you might consider installing a blower to help the insert distribute the heat better. Nevertheless, you still don’t need to install any new stove.
How to choose the Best Wood Burning Fireplace Insert
First, you need to look at how efficient the fireplace insert is. The more efficiency rating it has, the less energy it uses to burn the same amount of energy.
- Adjustable Air Flow
This feature of an insert helps you to control the air-wash for the wood and pellets that you burn inside the fireplace. When the air is circulated well inside the fireplace, the heating emitted into the room will be more constant and at a comfortable level.
- Direct Venting
The venting system inside a wood burning fireplace insert is very important. This is because it helps get rid of all of the exhaust from your fireplace after the burning. This system is also very essential for your home to remain safe and clean without any chemical and harmful particle in the air.
There are quite a few models of venting options for you to choose from. Make sure that you choose one that is compatible with your current fireplace.
- Cast Iron Doors
Most of the fireplace inserts on the market are made of stainless steel on the body. However, don’t do for one with stainless steel door.
In details, cast iron door is always the better option for you. This material is much more durable against extreme heat. Hence, with cast iron doors, it will be better to prevent any unwanted fire and burning in your house.
Although wood burning fireplace insert is one of the most economical investments for you in the long term, it will be still costly upfront. You need to pay about 1000 dollars for the unit- more or less. In addition, you have to pay for the installation cost.
As I mentioned above, you need to pay at least 1000 dollars. But, some premium high quality wood burning fireplace insert with other fancy features will cost more. Also, some units even cost about 2500 dollars.
If you have quite a huge budget, you should invest in that model. However, at the price of about 1500 dollars, you can get a fireplace insert with cast iron doors or air flow control. Don’t go for anything is too cheap, it will not be durable and even contains possible hazards to the safety of your family.
Top-Rated Wood Burning Fireplace Insert Reviews
1. Napoleon EPI3C Oakdale Cast Iron EPA Certified Wood Fireplace Insert
This insert can heat an area of up to 2000 square feet. In addition, it has the BTU ratings of 55000. The minimum fireplace opening is 21.3125 x 26.5 x 17.3125 inches (H x W x D) and the flashing dimensions are 12 x 25 inches (H x W). It has a heavy duty cast iron door with the capacity of 1.8 cubic foot. Furthermore, it features an air wash system to distribute heat for a constant temperature and clean viewing glass.
- It has a smart design and construction such as rollers on the rear and a set of huge leveling screws. Therefore, it is very easy and simple to install the unit.
- The contemporary black design with slim low profile design makes it a very trendy and decorative item. You will especially notice this if you want a wood burning fireplace insert to add to a house with minimalistic lay out.
- It has the largest viewing window for you to enjoy the flames as much as possible.
- It is EPA certified for high efficiency appliance, which helps you to save quite a great deal on energy.
- This insert is one of the most expensive wood burning fireplace inserts on the market, costing more than 3000 dollars.
- The fan is a little bit noisy.
2. Timberwolf Economizer EPA Wood Burning Fireplace Insert
It can heat an area of up to 2000 square feet. In addition, it also features 2 pieces of CFM blowers. The minimum fireplace opening is 5-7/8″ (W) x 22″ (H) x 14″ (D) and the flashing dimensions are 43-5/8″ (W) x 31-3/8″ (H).
- It is quite easy and straightforward to install this wood burning fireplace insert.
- In addition, this comes with a solid design without trading its simplicity and high efficiency.
- The dual blowers system is very effective in term of distributing heat around the house.
- At full capacity, this wood burning fireplace insert can operate for about 8 hours. Hence, you don’t have to top up the burning source so frequently.
- The blower is controlled by temperature, not manually.
- Due to its lightweight construction, throughout the heating and cooling process, you can hear the noises such as bangs and pops from the insert. They can easily be avoided by damping the insert before use, though.
3. Century Wood Burning Insert For Fireplace 65000 Btu 500-1800 Sq. Ft.
This insert can heat an area of from 500 to 1800 square feet and has 65000 BTU ratings. In addition, it features 2 pieces of CFM blowers. The overall dimensions are 21 1/4″ D x 27 3/4″W x 21 5/8″H. It has stainless steel secondary air system with glass air wash system. Moreover, it is certificated EPA for high efficiency appliance.
- The price of this wood burning insert is very cheap. Furthermore, it is quite economical to have it installed and operated for a long time in the future.
- It is very easy to install and there is no extra features you need to buy before the insert works properly.
- You can receive very efficient burnings with this type of insert.
- It has a huge capacity. In fact, it can stock up about 20 inch log each time.
- The viewing window is very big and clean, helping you to enjoy the flames as much as possible
- With its air wash design, it is quite hard to ignite a fire in the first place. But once you can do it, the fire will work out just fine.
- Ash might fall out from the top of the ledge when you open the door.
4. EPI-1402P Napoleon Woodburning Insert
This trendy and stylish wood burning insert can heat an area of up to 1800 square feet. Also, it features two powerful heat circulating 100 CFM blowers. The overall dimensions of the product are 21 1/2″h x 25 1/2″w x 2532″h x 44″w. The BTU rating of this insert is 70000. Besides, it has an elegant arched cast iron door with glass air wash system.
- First of all, it is very easy to install and operate this insert with a single lever burn control to control primary and secondary air.
- The burning from this insert is very efficient and clean with little wood needed. In the end, there is not so much ash for you to clean as well.
- In addition, the 2 blowers help to circulate the heat and maintain it at a very comfortable level throughout the process very effectively.
- With the “Whisper quiet” technology, the two blowers don’t cause any noise while operating.
- It takes longer for the heat to reach your ideal temperature in comparison with other inserts.
I hope that this article is helpful and informative to you. After all, having a good wood burning fireplace insert for your home is a wise investment as it is energy efficient and very economical. Along with the efficiency, you should also consider the feature of adjustable airflow and venting option when you choose an insert.
As long as you spend time researching and remember all of the tips above, I am sure that you can come up with the best wood burning fireplace insert soon.